MSI GS65 RF8 Stealth Thin Thermal Throttling Problem
Wir veröffentlichen neue Datenschutzrichtlinien um der europäischen DS-GVO, die ab dem 25.Mai 2018 in Kraft tritt, gerecht zu werden. Die neuen Datenschutzrichtlinien können Einfluss auf die Verwendung Ihrer Daten haben. Durch die weitere Nutzung unsere Webseiten stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies, den neuen Datenschutzrichtlinien und den Geschäftsbedingungen zu.
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.
Erweiterte Suche  

Autor Thema: MSI GS65 RF8 Stealth Thin Thermal Throttling Problem  (Gelesen 2646 mal)

markusdinger66

• Grünschnabel
  • :
MSI GS65 RF8 Stealth Thin Thermal Throttling Problem
« am: 29. Juni 2019, 17:32:53 »

Hello,

I have a big problem with my RF8 Laptop. Almost anytime I start a Game, a bit better than "Minesweeper" or "Solitaire" the CPU temperature increases very fast (approx. in less than 5 Minutes) to 90+ and the "Thermal Throttling" reduces the performance dramatically, regardless of the used mode "Eco, Comfort, Sport"

With this problem it is nearly impossible to play Games like Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, or other AAA Titles. The Game "Freezes" all 3-5 Minutes, I´ll have to switch it in background to wait until the temperature dropped a bit to continue.

For such an expensive laptop it is an absolutely "no-go" criteria. I´ve already "undervolted" it via XTU (-125mA) and even used another external "Notebook Stand" with 3 integrated additional fans.

Still the same problem.

I´m very frustrated, because my former Alienware 15 R3 did not have this problem.

Does anybody know how to solve this issue?

Thank you.

Markus

iTzZent

• Global Moderator
  • :
Re: MSI GS65 RF8 Stealth Thin Thermal Throttling Problem
« Antwort #1 am: 29. Juni 2019, 17:51:32 »

You can not compare your old Alienware 15 R3 with the GS65 ... The Alienware is much thicker, bigger and weighs almost double than the GS65. This allows a better cooling system. That's just the problem of extremely thin and light devices.

You can first adjust the voltage of the CPU, because there are plenty of instructions on google. Furthermore, you can also replace the thermal grease for high quality paste, because the original of MSI is not good enough ...

markusdinger66

• Grünschnabel
  • :
« Antwort #2 am: 30. Juni 2019, 20:52:16 »

I know that I can replace the thermal paste, and the pads. Also I´ve already "undervolted" the notebook. (today -150mA).

Nothing works.

I´ve checked the notebook with several games:#

- Metro Exodus, Full-HD (and 1680 Resolution). In both cases the Game freezes after the temperature reaches 90 + degree. Switching the process in background, wait for a temperature drop and switch back works.

- Heavy Rain in "mid" and "low" -Quality with 1680er resolution (non-Full HD). Same effect. The game freezes, but you are not able to switch for and back. You´ll have to kill the process manually.

- Observation (Full-HD)  freezes after a while. Switching the process in background, wait for a temperature drop and switch back works.

- Witcher 3 (freezes after 90+)

- Project Cars 2, Mutant Year Zero, Eastshade etc. (all have the same issue)

From my point-of-view it is not acceptable. Heavy Rain was a PS3 title and I would expect that this runs also on a High-End Laptop for more than 5 Minutes. Metro Exodus is an AAA Title, but the problem is not the power of the laptop, more the cumbersome cooling capability disabling the high-end hardware inside. A 1070 GTX Q-Max is totally useless in this case.

It seems that not the GPU causes this thermal problem, but more the I7-Cpu which overheats in full load like hell.

Similar to a super-sports car running only 5 minutes at high power, but later only in 80 HP mode to prevent overheating. 
If you are buying such a car would you REALLY mind to adjust the engine by yourself and buying additional spare parts only to avoid this situation?

Also on the backside of the NB there is a warranty seal over one of the screw holes. Should I really break this seal to carry out this necessary improvement?

-

jeanlegi

• Global Moderator
  • :
« Antwort #3 am: 30. Juni 2019, 21:07:10 »

Maybe this helps http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gs65-stealth-owners-and-discussions-lounge.815216/
check your bios and ec version maybe an update is required.
the seal is no problem in germany or some ohter countries. as long as you nothing damage you will not loose your warranty.
Cheerio
JP
1. 2. GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro (014DE)|3. GE73VR 7RF Raider (266DE)